18 Dec Carrier Ethernet Services: 3+ Million Ports Worldwide by 2018
Cumulative global opportunity for retail services exceeds $200 billion
BOSTON, MA, DECEMBER 18, 2014 – Worldwide installations of Carrier Ethernet services will expand to more than three million ports by 2018, according to latest research from Vertical Systems Group. Projected installations include retail Ethernet services at speeds ranging from Sub-10 Mbps to more than 10 Gbps.
Vertical Systems Group’s outlook on the worldwide Carrier Ethernet services market was unveiled in a new infographic (click image for larger) at the MEF’s GEN14 event in Washington, DC. Topline market statistics were presented by Erin Dunne, who moderated the session, Service Provider Perspectives – Business Benefits Of Connecting Everyone & Everything With Ethernet. Rosemary Cochran, who moderated Unlocking Revenues With Standardized CE 2.0 Wholesale E-Access Services, described wholesale opportunities that are directly linked to the growth of retail services.
Highlights of Vertical’s Worldwide Carrier Ethernet Outlook
- Worldwide installations of retail Carrier Ethernet services will surpass three million customer ports by 2018. More than one million of these ports will be installed in the U.S.
- Ethernet providers selling retail services will continue to deliver the majority of new customer ports completely on-net, while relying on multiple wholesale partners to reach off-net customer locations.
- The projected five year cumulative revenue opportunity for retail Carrier Ethernet service providers exceeds $200 billion worldwide.
- Carrier Ethernet is growing at double digit rates in every region of the world. Asia/Pacific is the largest market based on revenue, followed by the U.S., Europe, and the Rest of World (RoW) region.
- Globally, the volume of Ethernet bandwidth has already surpassed legacy data services bandwidth. By 2018, Ethernet will contribute greater than 75% of worldwide business data bandwidth.
Vertical Systems Group’s @Ethernet research provides comprehensive statistics and analysis on Carrier Ethernet, including access to the market share detail behind the industry’s benchmark LEADERBOARD rankings. Available exclusively thorough ENS (Emerging Networks Service) Research Programs, @Ethernet is an essential cloud-based resource for companies that develop, sell, deploy, purchase or invest in Carrier Ethernet services and technology.